Tonya Ricks Sterr | LinkedIn | email@example.com
Award-winning designer specializing in web app development as well as web and print publishing. Experience with process analysis and creating streamlined solutions. Deadline driven and detail oriented with a proven ability to adapt to dynamic work situations. Clear communicator and energetic collaborator.
Software: Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Flash, Dreamweaver, Acrobat, Captivate), MS Office (PowerPoint, Word, Excel), Camtasia, SharePoint, Visual Studio
Platforms: Apple, PC
Edvation.com | Bellevue, WA | 2013-present
K-12 technology literacy curriculum and e-learning management system
- Led UX design for data-driven web applications, improving user interface of K-12 LMS, used by all West Virginia schools as well as districts nationwide.
- Developed style tiles, mockups, wireframes and style guides to guide web developers while creating applications.
- Collaborated with content editors and instructional designers to create visuals for e-learning and marketing videos.
- Converted marketing website to responsive version, reducing time staff spent to update content.
- Crafted UI elements for web apps, including icon sets and end-user elements.
- Created logos for MiiQuest and Exibi products, embracing established company look and feel while modernizing the company’s visuals.
- Championed and implemented web accessibility standards throughout product.
- Redesigned digital literacy curriculum books to improve readability, accessibility and use on mobile devices.
- Designed large-format conference materials, brochures and collateral.
Amazon.com | Seattle, WA | 2011-2012
Amazon Marketplace. Specializing in communication with millions of worldwide third-party sellers. B2B/B2C.
Web Designer/Visual Designer
- Created display ads (US and international) for the “Seller Central” gateway page, which drew more than 1% clickthrough rates with 200k impressions.
- Produced e-learning videos to help sellers improve sales; one video prompted about 30% of viewers to follow through with recommendations in tutorial.
- Developed monthly HTML and illustrations for internal newsletter, providing consistent style while offering seasonal variety in each issue.
- Upheld brand consistency in creation of monthly seller-facing newsletter templates, international emails and seller announcements; facilitated content management.
- Managed project to communicate new shipping options to sellers, coordinating between vendor, internal stakeholders and programmers, resulting in broad adoption.
Daily newspaper, circulation: 30,000. Supplies news specific to Kitsap County.
Page Designer/Web Designer
- Developed color palette and masthead for kitsapsun.com redesign, winning first-place Society of Professional Journalists award for Best Web Design for 2009.
- Adapted original print maps and illustrations for interactivity on the web, increasing readers’ retention and understanding.
- Collaborated with reporters, other designers and editors to best present news projects.
- Finished tasks on daily deadline, ensuring on-time production of the newspaper.
Grist.org | Seattle, WA | 2009-2010
Online magazine presenting environmental news with a sense of humor.
- Collaborated with marketing and fundraising departments to create witty and welcoming logos, e-mail graphics, invitations to reader meetups.
- Developed Flash and CSS interactive illustrations, increasing article comprehension.
- Illustrated stories using original illustration and stock and original photography.
Daily newspaper, circulation: 127,000. Provided Seattle and Puget Sound news.
Copy Editor, Desk Editor
- Promoted to collaborative position organizing and developing daily feature page.
- Supervised 8+ freelance writers, ensuring deadlines were met.
- Analyzed and improved organizational system; team adopted strategy in 2 weeks.
- Edited 50+ stories a week, consistently finishing ahead of personal and team deadlines.
Daily newspaper, circulation: 48,000. Largest news organization in the Mid-Columbia.
Page Designer/Copy Editor
- Pioneered newspaper redesign, modernizing look and increasing quantity of content despite decreased physical space. Saved company $20,000 by leading project.
- Prioritized needs of staff in redesign, reducing at least 10% of formatting time.
- Art-directed photo shoots, ensuring visuals would match editorial content and tone.
The Island Packet | Hilton Head Island, SC | 2002-2003
Daily newspaper, circulation: 18,000. Premier news source for the Lowcountry.
Page Designer/Copy Editor
- Introduced nationwide design trends, modernizing the company’s main product.
- 1st, Best Web Design
- 2nd, News Page Design
- 3rd, Feature Page Design
- 1st, Page One Design
- 1st, Lifestyles Page Design
- 2nd, Page One Design